Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Packman (earlier in show)

Usually I work until 5-5:30pm, but since the Charlotte Plaza is without power, I've been working from home the past few days, and will continue for the rest of the week. This is the first time I've actually heard Primetime before the 5 o'clock hour. Noticed the lack of the usual sidekicks but then again he is broadcasting from Raleigh, so I'm not sure this is the status-quo or just because he's doing a remote.

I have no problem giving credit where it's due, and so far the show is very entertaining. Packman isn't overbearing and he had some insightful guests on. Of course you still get the occasional redneck caller (guy who claims Redskins will win the NFC East had a terrible accent is way off his rocker as to what he thinks will happen, but hey he's a fan.)

I've also heard Packman interview Jim Nantz a few months ago, and that was very well done. While I am a fan of Jim Rome, not necessarily for his "takes" but like the Packman, when he does an interview, they both do a very good job. It's the rest of the show that I could do without.

Reflecting on past shows, and why I generally haven't enjoyed Primetime: It's a bit ironic that Packman criticized PacMan Jones for having an entourage, but in effect doesn't Packman have his own entourage studio crew? It wasn't until listening to the show today did I have the chance to realize that on his own, Packman CAN BE enjoyable to listen to. It seemed as if he didn't have to compete with his cohorts and try to be funnier, etc. Hey Packman, send your entourage packing.

I'm afraid things will change once the 5 o'clock hour roles around but at least I had 40 minutes of Packman that kind of changed my view of his show. I just hope the next 2 hours aren't filled with so much needless banter that I change my mind.

No comments: